Thursday, February 12, 2015

All You Need is Love {DIY Valentine's Day Wreath}

Tis the season for love in the air this week and what better way to commemorate the holiday then with a Valentine's Day craft!  A few weeks ago, I made a Valentine's Day Wreath and have outlined the steps below.  I came across so many great ideas on Pinterest and to tell you the truth I didn't decide what to do until I came home with a bag full of supplies and started putting it together.


Supplies:

-Styrofoam wreath
-Screwdriver with a small point
-Multiple pieces of felt in light pink and hot pink
-Chalkboard
-White paint pen

I started with the felt and cut 1 inch squares into round circles.  This was the most tedious task of all and I had to make multiple trips to the craft store since I underestimated how many pieces of felt I would need. This task is ideal if you have something else to do to pass the time.  Danny and I were in the midst of a Friends Marathon which was convenient.

Next, I took the screwdriver and placed it in the middle of a felt circle and twisted it into the Styrofoam wreath.  Depending on the kind of look you want, you can twist it as deep or shallow into the wreath to achieve your desired look.  The nice thing about this project is if you mess up the felt circles, you can always take it out and redo it!  I continued these steps to make sure to cover both the inside and outside of the wreath.


To make the chalkboard, I used the lyrics from a popular Beatles song.  My husband is a huge Beatles fan and I thought it would be a cute touch to include those lyrics in my project.  I looked up a variety of designs especially for the LOVE drawing and came across this awesome chalkboard art tutorial that I used for inspiration.  The rest of the artwork is free handed and isn't perfect, but it's not supposed to be!

After outlining in pencil, I traced it using a white paint pen.  You can use actual chalk like in the tutorial above, but I wanted it to be permanent, so I could use it year after year and it wouldn't smudge.


Happy Valentine's Day week and spend some time with someone you love this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a message below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...