Sunday, July 28, 2013

Sunday Social: What's cookin', Good Lookin'?

This Sunday Social is all about food!  I love to cook (when I have the time) and I especially love to eat! I try to find time to cook not only what I like, but what Danny likes too which is sometimes difficult when our likes are completely different.



1. If you could only eat one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?

If I could eat one thing for the rest of my life it would be pasta.  Even though I am a vegetarian, I sometimes can be a "carbatarian" and eat a lot of pasta.  Its not always healthy, but that's why I've been incorporating more fruits and vegetables into my pasta meals.

I made this pasta with asparagus and sun dried tomatoes last week.

2. What’s your guilty pleasure/comfort food?

Ramen noodles.  I love soups and broths in general, especially on a cold day or if I'm not feeling well, so Ramen noodles are my go-to comfort food.

3. What’s the weirdest/craziest thing you’ve ever eaten?

Since I'm a vegetarian, I haven't tried many weird animal products or anything like that.  I actually hate trying new foods all together because I have very picky taste buds. Some people might think that Tofu is weird, which a few years ago, I would have agreed. However after I got over the texture, I found it very good!

4. What foods do you avoid at all costs?

I avoid meat at all costs obviously.  I also do not like uncooked broccoli.  I will even go so far as pick it out of my soups and stir-frys if I'm unsure that it has been cooked all the way.


5. What meal reminds you of your childhood?

Spaghetti.  My mom makes the most amazing spaghetti and I remember her making it a lot during my childhood.  My family loves it so much that my mom used to make it for Christmas dinners instead of the typical Ham dinner (which I was okay with it!) She got her recipe from her mom and my mom has passed it down to me so I can make it for me and Danny. 

6. Share one of your favorite recipes and the story behind it.

One of my favorite recipes is for a hearty vegetarian chili.  Since I love soups this is such a great meal in the fall and winter and I even made it last month since I was craving it!  There is only four ingredients and it takes 15 minutes to cook!


Quick Vegetarian Chili

Ingredients:

1 tsp of canola oil
1 clove of garlic, fresh, minced
14 1/2 oz Tomatoes, stewed
15 oz of Kidney beans
15 1/4 oz corn, yellow, canned
15 oz tomato sauce, canned
1 Tbsp of chili powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp pepper flakes
1/4 cup of onions, dehydrated flakes
1/4 tsp black pepper
4 tbsp of cheddar cheese, shredded, low fat

Heat oil in a large, nonstick, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat.  Add garlic, cook stirring frequently about 2 minutes.  Add tomatoes, beans, corn, tomato sauce, chili powder, oregano, red pepper flakes, onion and pepper, stir well.

Increase heat to high and bring chili to a boil, stirring frequently until chili is thick and flavors are concentrated about 5 minutes.  Spoon into serving bowls and sprinkle with cheese.  Yields about 1 1/4 cups of chili and 1 tbsp of cheese per serving.

Source: Weight Watchers

3 comments:

  1. Stopping over from Sunday Social :) I actually love raw broccoli. I can eat it plain too.. I basically eat like rabbit food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely try your vegetarian chili recipe! I've been looking for a good recipe for so long and haven't found one yet!

    I love ramen style youp, too. The stuff we have in Germany is called Yum Yum soup, and actually even better than ramen. The kimchi version is so awesome (if I forget all the lack of nutrients, the loads of salt, etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ramen noodles. When I was little we called it "oodles of noodles." Still reminds me of childhood! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a message below.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...